The Third Officer understudies and assists the Second Officer. He must keep a navigational watch.
During cargo operations, he will assist with cargo operations, stability, ballast operations, moorings and ship security during the period of his watch.
The is responsible for the safety of all personnel working for him.
- He is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of all deck portable fire fighting equipment and lifesaving appliances.
- He is responsible to the Master for the completion of records of on -board training.
- Where required shall act as nominated officer for the GMDSS station with responsibility for associated tests and records.
- He is responsible for the upkeep of the Recreational and Technical library.
- The Third Officer must carry out any lawful command and delegated duty as issued by the Master.